Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Ugly Duckling

This is the tale of an ugly duckling...


This sad disaster was free from my local online classifieds. Only one of the 5 drawers was salvageable due to water damage. As you can see, the back also had some serious damage.


We tore the back off and decided to put beadboard on instead. You will also notice that the wardrobe is a few inches shorter. My husband used the jig saw to cut off the space where the bottom drawer was to go. This was because the "legs" were too damaged.  I also talked him into turning the space where the drawers were into shelves.

This Krylon "Blue Ocean Breeze" is my favorite spray paint but instead of buying those $3 cans over and over I decided to have my husband (my personal Home Depot Consultant) color match me an entire can of latex paint! I decided to paint the wardrobe with this new paint-


 I had this drawer pull hanging around the house...







Not counting the paint (which I paid $10 for awhile back when the Ralph Lauren paint was on sale at HD) I only spent $6 on MDF to make the shelves.

I learned a few valuable lessons during this project: 1. Do not sand a piece that has layers of paint unless you plan to sand the entire area. 2. Act really disappointed when your husband thinks a project is a waste of time and he will be guilted into helping!

Linking To:
Photobucket


1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! And can I just say that the ugly duckling turned into a RIDICULOUSLY GORGEOUS swan?!? Nice job- it really turned out beautifully! :)

Jessica
http://craftily-ever-after.blogspot.com