Thursday, July 7, 2011

Prepping for Vacation


I just returned from my summer vacation and have come up with a few tips. This information is probably a no brainer but here we go anyways.

1. Get a Deal. As soon as you decide on a location, sign up with the daily deal sites for that location. Here are a few-
Groupon
Living Social
Buy with Me
Plum District
Circle Buzz

I would suggest having these sent to a secondary email if you have one so your inbox isn't inundated with daily deals. Also, check with the local city's news website because they always have deals on their site. For example, the San Diego Union-Tribune has a website called Sign on San Diego where they have a daily deal.

2. Hold Please. Consider having your mail placed on hold. You can even request this by going to the USPS website.

3. Price it Out. I like using Hotels.com or similar sites to compare pricing on hotels. You should also consider a vacation rental so you can stock the fridge and avoid eating out too much. Try VRBO, Homeaway, or VacationRentals.com. To me it comes down to price, location and quality. We recently stayed in the La Jolla Beach Travelodge for under $90 a night, which is a fabulous price for La Jolla. I was willing to sacrifice a few stars for a 5 minute walk to the beach.

4. Pack it Up. Don't we always forget something when packing? I would recommend finding an online packing list to assist.

5. Clean Up. I recommend cleaning the house and getting all laundry done prior to leaving out of town. You will be happy you did when you come home and have a suitcase full of clothes to wash and items to put back.

What other tips do you have for travel prep?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

My tip would be to go on vacation with you and let you do the prepping. I think you've got it down!